The purpose of this blog is to know and understand the teacher's perspective concerning current issues on education reform and the teaching profession. Inputs from the ones who probably knows what is best for students academically -- the teachers -- are rarely considered in decision making of policies. Yet, these so-called education experts and lawmakers dictate how we do our jobs and what we should teach. That's not right!



Saturday, August 28, 2010

My blog's preamble...One will do what is allowed...

Hello, educators and supporters of education world wide.

Under the encouragement of some friends and former colleagues, this is my attempt to express my passion for empowering teachers in the school accountability era. Any public school teacher will attest that, when it comes to education reform discussions and decision-making, we teachers have little to no say in the process. Yet, many say that teachers are the most important factor in student learning. If that is the case, then why we can't have a say in how we do our jobs and advance our profession? Teachers aren't running away from accountability; as the professionals we are, we should be held accountable...only for those things we can control. School accountability measures currently in place are lopsided against educators in an unfair way. With the current economic climate, especially with education budget being slashed in most states, teachers can't afford to "go along to get alone" any longer. Be part of the solution by being vocal or remain a part of the problem by being silence.

Accountability without the power to make crucial decisions is both unfair and harmful. ~ Richard Ingersoll

This blog was created by an unemployed teacher with a total of ten years of secondary science teaching experiences in two states. I wasn't fired or layoffed; I resigned partially due to illness, but mainly because I was fed up with how the teaching profession was going, particularly in my current state. I know I was and still am a very good teacher; but I have to have a professional voice, especially when I know I am being screwed by my superiors. I will strive to not turn this blog into a mere venting session...then again, we teachers do have much to vent about. However, I want to stir up the frustration in motivating teachers to be speak freely  about various concerns within our profession and the education reform movement.

My general philosophy concerning people: One will do what is allowed!

Teachers, it is time we say "enough is enough" and stop running scared. We have to take back control of our profession for the sake of the children we serve and for our livelihood.

No comments:

Post a Comment