The purpose of this blog is to know and understand the teacher's perspective concerning current issues on education reform and the teaching profession. Inputs from the ones who probably knows what is best for students academically -- the teachers -- are rarely considered in decision making of policies. Yet, these so-called education experts and lawmakers dictate how we do our jobs and what we should teach. That's not right!



Sunday, August 29, 2010

Our Own Worst Enemy...Damn!

As professionals who work with other people's children, the public inherently entrust us teachers to educate their children and protect them of all harm. But when harm is perpetrated by the teachers themselves, those individuals just don't bring trouble upon themselves, but also on the teaching profession overall. In my opinion, this is one of the reasons why the public views us in a negative light and don't take us seriously as professionals. We can't demand respect unless you command it first. So when I read articles like this and this or come across websites like that and that, I just have to shake my damn head. I am like "why"?

Personally, my journey in becoming a highly-qualified teacher was not cakewalk. In fact, it was full of red tape and several setbacks. I endured too much to attained my professional credentials.  Therefore, there is no way in hell I am willing to jeopardize my livelihood and career behind a child. Now, I am no doormat, letting my students run all over me. Whether they like me or not, most of my students have the utmost respect for me as their teacher because I strive to always maintain order in my classroom in a firm, fair, and consistent manner. In addition, I strive to maintain a caring yet professional relationship with my students. I don't care how old or cute my students are; if their names are on my official class rolls, in my eyes, they are JAIL BAIT! No way! No haps!

While they are bad apples in every profession, with teaching or any occupation that involves working directly with children, more must be done to better screen for potential troublemakers. If a person has a record of being abusive toward anyone and/or lacks temperament, then he/she does not need to be working with children....PERIOD. For us teachers to regain any control of our profession, we have to walk the walk and display professionalism all the time. We have a huge responsibility to take care of the students we serve while they are in the school house. Once that responsibility is compromised, it build a public case against the teacher that is hard to overcome. Do better by doing your job right the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment