The purpose of this blog is to know and understand the teacher's perspective concerning current issues on education reform and the teaching profession. Inputs from the ones who probably knows what is best for students academically -- the teachers -- are rarely considered in decision making of policies. Yet, these so-called education experts and lawmakers dictate how we do our jobs and what we should teach. That's not right!



Wednesday, September 8, 2010

E-Learning: The Wave of the Future

As of right now, I have no desire to teach in a traditional classroom setting anymore. However, teaching in an alternative classroom setting or better yet, an online classroom setting, is what I would like to do. As a current online graaduate student, I loved my experiences. It is not as easy as many critics claims it is; you have to be a self-directed learner to succeed in these online programs. The materials is provided to the student; it is up to the student to learn it on his/her own. This is probably the main attribute I love the most about online learning; it fosters student accountability in learning. In my opinion, this is why K-12 schools are lacking when preparing students for college, military, or trade school. This problem is compounded when everyone in the village, especially at home, are not in sync in rearing and educating children. Consider the video clip on the impact of the "wrong type" of praise on children's self-esteem.



CNN recently discuss the popularity of online high schooling, which I think it is awesome; see the video clip below.



In one of my Facebook notes I've written earlier this summer, I expressed on my excitement and unwavering support for online schooling in the secondary levels (grades 7-12); again, it goes back to student accountability.

One of the benefits of online learning in secondary schooling is it increase student accountability. The district-approved content and materials are provided electronically; it is up to the student to learn the material on his/her own and to meet all designated deadlines. If they are not met, the students (and the parents) cannot blame anyone but themselves. I cannot wait until virtual high schools become the norm in public education. This school accountability crap will go away. I see great potential in this for high school students; now, I am not so sure about elementary and middle school students. Like collegiate-level online courses, high school online courses will require self-directed learning from the students. While e-tutorials and support systems will be available, it is up to the students to take advantage of the help…no one else. NO EXCUSES, especially if there is an intensive orientation process that the students undergo where the expectations were clearly stated to them!
After watching the CNN video clip and having a possible interview with an online school in a few days, my excitement has been ignited again. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment