The purpose of this blog is to know and understand the teacher's perspective concerning current issues on education reform and the teaching profession. Inputs from the ones who probably knows what is best for students academically -- the teachers -- are rarely considered in decision making of policies. Yet, these so-called education experts and lawmakers dictate how we do our jobs and what we should teach. That's not right!



Friday, October 15, 2010

Profile: Teach Tony Danza

I touch the future. I teach. ~ Christa McAuliffe

For biography, click here; also, for more info on the show, click here.

With over thirty years in the show business as an actor, a singer, a talk show host, and a boxer, Tony Danza has decided to take on his "biggest challenge" yet -- a teacher. A real teacher, not an actor being a teacher. THE REAL DEAL!



Last school year, under the guidance of an instructional coach, Mr. Danza taught 10th-grade English at Northeast High School, one of Philadelphia's largest inner city schools. His experiences has been chronicled for the new reality TV show, Teach Tony Danza, which premiered October 1 on A&E. When I first heard about this earlier this year, I was initially unfazed. Now, due to the heated national debate on education reform, I have become more curious about how was it like for him and whether or not I can relate to his experiences. Despite the criticisms of this show being a big gimmick, since I have yet to see the show, I am willing to give it a chance for three reasons:
  1. It's about the day and life of a teacher in a real classroom at a PUBLIC school.
  2. While he is a celebrity, he is not as well-known to this generation, i.e., his students
  3. I am curious to see the extent of the struggles he endured during his time in the classroom
As he reflected on his experiences, Mr. Danza said teaching is overwhelming and harder than one thinks. He is right. My first few years of teaching were difficult for me as well. But the story of concept of the show came about is more compelling:



Mr. Danza, despite what others may say, I am glad you sacrifice roles and other opportunities to do this. I hope you would consider advocating for teachers and students in the education reform debate. It would be awesome to see the so-called experts follow your example and devote one year to teaching in a public school. I heart you on Who's The Boss! I loved that show growing up. I always considered you as a fine actor and positive celebrity role model. Now, I respect you more not just for teaching, but also your sincere desire to give back. So, thank you, Mr. Danza; kudos to you!



Despite missing all episodes so far, I plan to watch the new episode tonight and play catch up later. Nevertheless, I encourage every educator to support this show and give it a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment